The mission of UW-Extension’s Local Government Center is to provide focus, coordination, and leadership to UW-Extension educational programs supporting local government, and to expand the research and knowledge base for local government education.
We provide instruction to local government officials:
- To help new officials understand their roles and responsibilities as public officials in Wisconsin
- To develop the abilities of new and continuing officials to fulfill their roles and responsibilities
- To enhance the ability of Extension educators to establish relationships and work with local officials in their area
- To help officials keep current on topics and practices which affect their communities
- To help officials fulfill requirements when specific instruction is required by statute (such as board of review).
This instruction is usually in one of four forms:
- in-person workshops presented statewide in the spring and fall of each year
- teleconference programs on individual topics offered live and in recorded form
- video accompanied by written materials
- the Center’s website.
We research questions about local government in Wisconsin to gain insight into trends and solutions to problems.
Local Government Center Specialists and Staff
Overall Center program delivery and coordination. Funding mechanisms for downtown redevelopment; rural landscape preservation.
Transportation, open meetings, open records, elections, meeting management, agendas, minutes, parliamentary procedure, public policy education, women in government.
Local government law in general; powers and duties of local government bodies and officials; land use regulation; open meetings and records; ethics and conflicts of interest.
Deliberative governance, civil discourse in public life, public engagement, participatory decision-making.
Local government budgeting and finance.
Parliamentary procedure, conducting government meetings, minutes.
Center Support Staff
|Website support: Eileen Langdon email@example.com|
We work with our partners to develop and present program content, and plan, coordinate and promote educational events, and contribute articles and chapters to the publications distributed by the statewide local government associations.
Local Government Center
610 Langdon Street, Room 229
Madison, Wisconsin 53703
Phone: 608-262-9960 or 608-262-9961