County boards must deal with a wide variety of administrative issues. Those issues prompt questions of “How do we do that?” or “What are other counties doing?” The documents available on this page provide some answers to those questions.
Note: All of the documents here are in final draft form and have yet to receive final administrative review. When in doubt, county officials should always check with their respective corporate counsel before implementing the concepts discussed here.
- Tenure and Form of Government in Wisconsin Counties– (PDF file, 130 kb, 2 pages).This document provides a listing of the form of government Wisconsin counties utilize.
- Forms of County Government in Wisconsin Map – (PDF file, 580 kb, 1 page). This map shows which form of government each county in Wisconsin is utilizing.
- Forms of County Government in Wisconsin Map: Position Serves as Administrative Coordinator – (PDF file, 432 kb, 1 page)
- Forms of County Government – (PDF file, 60 kb, 7 pages). This document is a plain-language explanation of the forms of county government in Wisconsin.
- Hiring a Professional Local Government Manager, Administrator or Coordinator – (PDF file, 60 kb, 7 pages). This document discusses how to go about hiring a local government professional.
- County Civil Service Commissions – (PDF file, 28 kb, 2 pages). Questions regarding county civil service commissions also pose concerns with county supervisors.
- Seeking Efficiencies in Local Government – (PDF file, 48 kb, 6 pages). This document provides a detailed discussion on seeking efficiencies, with questions to ask, where to look, and a discussion of unintended consequences of efficiency efforts.
- Alternatives for the Delivery of Government Services – (PDF file, 152 kb, 19 pages). This paper is an older but still very valid publication by former Local Government Center director David Hinds.
Contact person for this web page: Philip Freeburg (firstname.lastname@example.org).