Town Officials Workshops – May 2017
Following the spring elections in odd numbered years, UW-Extension’s Local Government Center working in conjunction with the Wisconsin Towns Association coordinates and delivers a series of day-long programs designed to help orient both new and continuing town officials.
In May 2017, topics include Powers and Duties of Town Officials, Open Meetings Law and Effective Meetings, Town Road Funding and Operations, Budget and Finance Basics, Ethics and Conflicts of Interest, Enforcement of Ordinances, Succession Planning: Finding the Next Generation of Town Government Leaders, and Barn Preservation: Passing Fad or Here to Stay? Parallel sessions are held for new and continuing town board members. Workshops will be held around the state in Tomah, Mineral Point, DeForest, Rice Lake, Cable, Minocqua, Green Bay, Wisconsin Rapids, and Eau Claire.
Registration is by U.S. Mail through the Wisconsin Towns Association. The registration form is part of the 2017 Town Officials Workshops brochure, which also includes locations and dates. Download the 2017 Town Officials Workshops brochure.
Town officials who attended these workshops in past years have commented:
- “As always I leave feeling smarter and more confident than when I came.”
- “[I] always learn something new and useful at sessions.”
- “Will use this [information to make roads last longer.”
- “I enjoyed getting to know the other board members a bit more and learn some new things to help refresh this position for me!”
- “Keep doing this.”
(PDF file, 335 kb, 2 pages)
Archived Town Officials Workshops Information
- 2017 Program (PDF file, 594 kb, 2 pages) – 737 participants attended in 2017.
- 2015 Program (PDF file, 578 kb, 2 pages) – 856 participants attended in 2015.
- 2013 Program (PDF file, 778 kb, 2 pages) – 1,064 participants attended in 2013.
- 2011 Program (PDF file, 778 kb, 2 pages) – 1,059 participants attended in 2011.
- 2009 Program (PDF file, 1.3 Mb, 2 pages) – 1,206 participants attended in 2009.
- 2007 Program (PDF file, 139 kb, 2 pages) – 1,520 participants attended in 2007.
- 2005 Program (PDF file, 52 kb, 2 pages) – 1,121 participants attended in 2005.
- 2003 Program (PDF file, 30 kb, 2 pages) – 1,170 participants attended in 2003.